British Science Week is here!
Our Science Department is running a number of sessions for YR7 - YR9 students during their science lessons this week. A number of experiments shall take place.
- Catch a Rainbow - looking at unusual interactions by mixing milk, food colouring and washing up liquid.
- Making Slime - making a weird slimy concoction that acts like a liquid but behaves like a solid when you squeeze it.
- Rates and Rhubarb - Investigating the effect of surface area with Rhubarb and potassium permanganate which decolourises when it reacts with the oxalic acid in rhubarb.
- Cannon Fire - Potassium permanganate is sprinkled on a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and ethanol. Creates loud bangs as the oxygen evolves and increases the rate of burning.
- Model of the eye - Sheep eyes are dissected to view the different parts and then a model is made using plasticine and sweets!
It is great to see the students getting involved and enjoying British Science Week!